Ambien is the market name for the drug Zolpidem that is prescribed to treat sleep-related problems that are medically termed as insomnia. It has a proven track record of treating insomnia. It works by stabilizing the chemicals in the brain, the imbalance of which triggers sleep disturbance in the patients. Patients dealing with insomnia problem can consult their physician and can take ambien to get treated in an effective way. The balancing act of brain’s neurotransmitters performed by the hypnotic Zolpidem gives way to calming effect in the brain. This, in turn, induces sleep in the sleep deprived individuals.
Difference between Ambien and Ambien CR
The Ambien tablets are made in two different formulations which are immediate-release and extended release. The immediate-release tablet works by dissolving soon after its oral administration. Hence it is obligatory to take this tablet just before going to bed. The extended-release, on the other hand, works in two different levels. The first layer dissolves fast prompting people to sleep fast while the second layer dissolves gradually to regulate the sleep through the entire night. Hence, individuals experiencing interrupted sleep can take Ambien before going to bed to enjoy a restful sleep.
It is a white to off-white crystalline powder and it is slightly soluble in water, alcohol as well as propylene glycol. The molecular weight of Ambien is 764.88. The active ingredient, Zolpidem is the main reason behind treating the medical condition. There are many inactive ingredients in it and they are magnesium stearate, sodium starch glycolate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, titanium dioxide, polyethylene glycol, microcrystalline cellulose, and lactose.
What is the correct dosage ?
The dosage recommendation for women is 5 mg per day and for men, it is 5-10 mg a day. It should be consumed immediately before bedtime. This pill can only be consumed orally before heading to bed. But, when you can’t take at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep do not take Ambien. If in case the dosage strength of 5 mg is not effective for you, it might be increased by the doctor. Do not increase the dose on your own.
How to take Ambien effectively
The dosage of the drug should always be stipulated by a doctor. Taking the dosage in the right quantity averts the risk of over dosage and you can reap maximum benefits out of the pill. A doctor’s recommendation always depends on the medical history, age and the medication that the patient is currently undertaking. So, before you consume Ambien, we recommend you to consult a doctor.
Important safety measures to follow before taking Ambien
- As this drug induces drowsiness and impairs thinking, do take this medicine right before bed and refrain from performing any activities that require attention such as driving.
- Keep yourself informed of all the ingredients present in the medication, so as to steer clear of the allergic reactions. Get emergency medical help if you notice any serious allergic reactions such as swelling of the lips, tongue & face, hives and breathing troubles.
- Consuming alcohol in conjunction with it is absolutely prohibited as it enhances the effects of alcohol.
- Refrain from taking Ambien if you are allergic to Zolpidem or any other similar ingredients. Always inform your doctor about your allergic reactions so he can determine whether this pill is safe for you.
- Only take Ambien if you have time to sleep for at least 7-8 hours.
- This habit-forming medicine should only be taken by the exact person for whom it is prescribed. It is imperative to not share this drug especially with a person who has a history of addiction.
- It is intended only for adults who are above 18 years old.
- Administer this drug carefully and do not crush or break the tablet. It should always be consumed as a whole.
- Beware of counterfeit pharmacies that sell spurious medicine on the internet. Procure the drug only from licensed pharmacies to get hold of genuine pills at a low price.
Adverse effects of the drug
This drug, just as any other prescription drug comes with its own set of side effects. Not following the doctor’s recommendations, overdosing on the medicine or consuming it with stimulants like alcohol or coffee greatly aggravates the risk of these side effects. Some common side effects resulting from the drug intake are:
- Drowsiness during the day, dizziness, light-headedness
- Nasal Congestion, dry mouth
- Muscle pain
These side effects may subside after a while as your body gets used to the medicine. Some serious side effects for which you must immediately contact a doctor are:
- Chest Pain
- Feeling of fainting
- Difficulties in breathing
Using this for the recommended period without skipping the dose yields desirable benefits for insomnia-afflicted patients.
What drugs can be interacted while taking ambien
Just like other drugs, it is also found to interact with other medications. When it interacts with other drugs, your medical ailment would worsen and would aggravate ill effects. By following a simple rule, this issue can be easily eradicated and that rule is to convey all the medications that you are taking currently to the doctor before starting the treatment. Listed below are few drugs that should definitely be avoided while on Ambien medication.
- Balacet (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
- Darvon Compound 32 (aspirin / caffeine / propoxyphene)
- Darvocet-N 100
- Xyrem (sodium oxybate)
- Zubsolv (buprenorphine / naloxone)
- Wygesic (acetaminophen / propoxyphene)
Is it safe to buy the drug online
It is safe to buy this drug online only if you choose a mail order pharmacy that is reputed. Your personal information would be kept safe and secure. With regards to Ambien pills, you can take the medication without any worry as they sell only authentic pills to you. Your wealth, as well as health, is taken care by a genuine online pharmacy by providing you with genuine Ambien medication at an affordable rate when compared to the brick and mortar stores. So, do not get scared about buying online, as it is very safe similar to the offline pharmacies but with lots of benefits.